Dress Block Drafting
Do you struggle to get your commercial patterns to fit you exactly right? This is a common problem, which we have all experienced. It may be that you have a long body, small or large bust or narrow shoulders and don’t know how to fix the problem. If this is the case why not draft your own pattern?
We are very excited to be able to offer you this internationally acclaimed course from Sure-Fit Designs. This will allow you to create your own sloper /block (basic dress pattern) based on your own body measurements. This sloper will then become your building block (body blueprint) for all of your future designs with the confidence of knowing that whatever you design will fit your body exactly. By the end of the course you will be able to modify your block to create your own style of clothing for example change the neckline, the sleeve style, the length etc.
After the course you will have access to a wealth of support via the Sure-Fit Designs website and online resources to help you practice creating your own designs.
The skills you will learn include
- You will learn how to take accurate measurements. These will be primarily upper body, with the exception that we’ll take a high hip, low hip and skirt length, so you have them in your set of measurements.
- Drawing/drafting Bodice Front
- Drawing/drafting Bodice Back
- Drawing/drafting Sleeve
- Drawing/drafting Skirt
- If time allows, start cutting out calico toile.
Homework between Day 1 and 2
- Finish cutting out and assemble your toile (without sleeves)
- Try on at home and send photos to the trainer.
- Evaluate the fit without sleeves
- Refine the fit
- Add the sleeves and test and refine the fit
- Transfer refinements to master pattern
- Designing exercise
What do I need to bring?
Note pad and pen to take notes plus a camera or phone would be helpful.
- Teaching from a Sure-Fit Designs expert trainer
- Your personal kit to take away includes a Sure-Fit Designs Dress Kit, Designing stylus, and 3m of calico
- 2 course lunch will be provided on both days, as well as refreshments and afternoon tea and cake.
All our courses include the use of our up to date Janome sewing and overlock machines plus our premium dressmaker’s equipment and thread.
Things to take into consideration.
- You will need to be measured in order to create your sloper/block accurately so please be aware that you will be required to undress (Don’t worry we have a modesty screen)
- Different bra styles have varying support and can change the position of your bust apex therefore please wear the bra you would normally wear with blouses/dresses. If you want to wear a cotton slip, lightweight camisole, or thin cotton blouse (nothing bulky or slippery) would be best. Or you can get measured directly in your bra. This is up to you.
- This workshop is not suitable for anyone with scoliosis or significant rounding of the back, or anyone with a bust size greater than 50”(127cm)
If you have any further questions about the course or are unsure about the items you need to bring please contact us for help.
Day Saturday 7th and 28th September
Time 9am -5/6pm
Tutor Judith Johnson from Sure-Fit Designs UK